Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lego Table

So this isn't my typical blogpost, but I wanted to share the latest project I've done: A lego table for Trevor. 

I bought a small end table through IKEA- the Lack Side table

LACK Side table IKEA The high-gloss surfaces reflect light and give a vibrant look.  Easy to assemble.  Low weight; easy to move.

I'm sure you can make one, it was just cheaper for me to buy the table rather than purchase wood and build it myself. Once it was delivered, I got to work. 

Here are the materials I had:

Ikea Lack Side Table
Four double ended screws (mine came with the table)
Four 10x10 Lego Bases
Gorilla Glue
Wet Rag

Ignore the TV reflection in the table 


Start by putting one of the double ended screws into the table, you'll only be able to tighten a little ways with your hands. 


Put one of the table legs on the other end of the screw, tighten until the leg is flush and tight with the table. 



Repeat with the other three legs. 


Next. You'll want to arrange the base plates on the top. Once you have placed, use a small amount of gorilla glue to glue plates down. Follow the instructions on the gorilla glue bottle, you won't need a ton as gorilla glue expands as it dries. 


See that wood chest in the background, that's project #2 :)

One tip when you are gluing down the bases: Make sure you use a lego piece to space them properly apart. 

There will be a tiny gap between bases.


If the gorilla glue expands too much and starts to leak out, try to wipe it off with the wet rag before it dries. Once it's dried you'll have to sand or file it off. 

We let it set overnight to dry and then little man got to enjoy. 





I think I'm going to try to build and add drawers to the bottom of the table to store the legos, rather than just leave the bucket underneath. I'd like it be more organized. Also Trevor will have a red wooden chair to match (that my dad and grandpa made me years and years ago) to sit at the table. 
There you go, pretty simple and I spent under $25 total on this project. So far Trev loves it! 




6 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Thanks for sharring! ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm sure Jude would love one too!

      Delete
  2. you rock at being a boy mom! i am going to learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I was a bit at a loss for what little boys like, but once they express interest in something, it's easier. I now know way more about superheroes, phineas and ferb, legos, trucks and cars, and dinosaurs than I ever thought I would :) I'm sure you'll be a great boy mommy too!!

      Delete