Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chicken Broth Recipe

I make my own Chicken stock/broth when making Chicken noodle soup and definitely could have used some this past weekend when I was sick. Instead, I had to settle for canned, store bought broth. Definitely wish I had my own homemade.

Here's my recipe (which was what my Grandma Smith used, which I believe was from the Taste of Home): 



INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds bone in skinless chicken
2 Celery ribs- cut into chunks
2 medium carrots- cut into chunks
2 medium onions- quartered
2 Bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (i'm lucky enough to get this and the rosemary from my stepmom who has an herb garden)
8-10 whole peppercorns
2 quarts cold water

Steps:

1. Place all ingredients in a soup kettle. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.

2. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface. 

Yield: about 6 cups.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! RD has to have a colonoscopy on Monday, so he will be on an all liquid diet Sunday. I told him store bought broth is so gross. Here's to winning the Good Wife award! --Bec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Store bought is definitely gross! Definitely worth the time to make homemade!

      Delete