Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Christmas Wishlist- Decor

I love Christmas decorations, but I prefer simpler, classical whites and silvers and reds. I don't like a lot of over the top decorations that you see these days. I don't need a rotating tree with colorful fiber optic branches. I don't need a 2,000 piece Santa's village with moving trains and lights. I don't need a 12 foot tall inflatable Santa in my front yard. I don't need lights from the top of my house to the bottom and everywhere in between. Basically I don't need (or want) this:


If that's you, then great! If not, that's great too! It's just not me. 

Last year we didn't even put lights outside (I know shameful of me). This year, it will probably be traditional white lights, probably the icicle ones since I love how they look at night after a snowfall. This is what the interior looked like last year: 

All of these pieces were my Grandma Smith's who passed away before Trevor was born, they're the only ones I'll ever own, because I just can't see myself buying more. I put them out more in honor of her than for me. 


We actually had two small trees, one in the living room and one in Trevor's room. The one in Trevor's room (on the left) is actually just the top of our big 6.5 foot one that we chose not to use this year. 

We also had garland and lights on the banisters on the stairs, our stockings hung, pictures and some small knick knacks but that's about it. 

Like I said, simple but still Christmasy.

This year, I have a small wish list/inspirational list of sorts for decorating (which I'll be doing next weekend!!!!) to keep with the simple, classical look and here it is: 

Clockwise from Large Photo on Top Left:  Mantle: via, Candles: via, Cutlery: via, Canvas: via, Wreath: via, Cinnamon Candles- Source not found


I think these are all simple ways to bring in the holiday look and feel without going overboard and look forward to recreating/re imagining some of them for our house this year!

What are some of your staple decorations? What's on your decor wishlist?


2 comments:

  1. All I want for Christmas is lights on my house.... ugh.... just lights, white ones.. can you pretend to be santa and send my hubby a message.... :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I can certainly try, although I don't know how masculine I can sound :)

      Delete